Background

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Using Brushos Watercolor Crystals


As promised, I edited some of the photos from my playing around with my new Brusho Watercolor Crystals.  These crystals are tiny - smaller than a grain of salt.  But they pack a punch of color into the small crystals.

For the card fronts I am showing you today, I used a couple different techniques.  This first card front was created in three different layers>  I started by taping my 5 x 7 piece of Strathmore watercolor paper to my work surface.  Kristina Werner suggests using a stand alone firm board, but haven't figured that one out yet.  Taping the paper down reduces the amount of warping if you do so and let it dry before moving.

I used a kids paintbrush (lots of very soft bristles, but little control) and plain tap water to moisten the lower 1/3 of the paper.  I applied the water liberally and completely across the entire width.  After having poked a hole in the top of the Brusho container (watch this video where Jennifer McGuire does the same), simply sprinkled (tapped) the Leaf Green Brusho crystals through the hole and onto my wet paper.  I tapped until I felt the water reaction was going to reach the color I was after.  I dried this layer with a heat tool, then applied water to the middle 1/3 of the paper and repeated with Turquoise crystals and drying once again with the heat tool.  I was careful to mix/blend the colors on the edges as I finished with some Purple crystals.

I can't even tell you how rich the color of this background is.  I've worked with Distress Inks on this kind of watercolor technique, but you usually can't achieve the brilliant colors because of the undertones to the Distress palette.  I think Crafting Rock Star Tim Holz is seeing this and making some adjustments to the palette.




However,without the crystals you wouldn't be able to achieve the small bursts of color in this project or the next example.  As such, the Brusho crystals bring their own unique ability to your tool shed (otherwise known as a Scrapbox!).



This last example was created by randomly combining lots of color crystals in small amounts on paper leftovers and then spritzing with a water bottle.  You can see where I got too much water and the colors blended too much.  However, those tiny bursts of color are fantastic in person.

I will say- the colors are color.  No glittery brilliance here, just bright, vivid colors.  The crystals have so much to offer that I am looking forward to playing around a bit and getting to know these new tools that I have.  I'll definitely share the result with you when I'm done.  If/when I get around to using these backgrounds (you've already seen one card), I'll share that too.

Thanks for reading through my rather long winded post.  Hopefully, you shared in my fun and I've inspired you to use those watercolor tools you have or check out the Brusho's if you get a chance.


3 comments:

  1. I love the effect of watercolors! Beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful. You're right, the colors are luscious. I'll bet in person they are even more so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW - they look amazing - will definitely be investigating these water colour crystals more! TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?