Background

Thursday, September 3, 2015

More Techniques with Brushos Watercolor Crystals


I am back today to share more of my photos of card fronts I created using my new (to me) Brushos watercolor crystals.  For this first one, I stamped an image in black Archival ink onto Strathmore watercolor paper.  Then, I applied water strategically, sprinkling the Brushos into the water.  the different colors had to be applied one at a time, so this technique was far more time consuming.




The stamping onto the watercolor paper is a little less artful - the texture causes unevenness to the stamped image.  At first, I didn't like how this turned out, but I like it a lot more after living with it.  You can see the vivid nature of the Brushos in the purple surrounding the butterfly.  It is even more bright and cheery in person.

For this next couple of card fronts, I embossed the flower and swirls with white embossing powder onto the watercolor paper.  I used the same technique - applied water to the areas I wanted the color and then sprinkled the Brushos into the space.

I found that the embossing kept the coloring edge a little cleaner, though I played a bit on the swirls by applying water around the embossing.  The water wanted to travel with the embossed edge and so it created a watercolor look that I am surprised how much I enjoy them.

In this last one, I used my Distress markers to add a little definition to the center of the flower.  I think it really worked well.  You can see I've been having a fair amount of fun with the Brusho watercolor crystals.  I am really pleased to have added this tool to my stash and would highly recommend them to anyone willing to play around.  They don't spring out of the box with nearly finished projects - I had to play around a bit to get these finished projects.  However, the colors and the possibilities are endless.  I will say - the price has come down $10 since I bought my set so it seems as though the time is now if you've been thinking about it!  Either way, I hope you are inspired to get your watercolors out and give it a go!

ETA:  I've linked up with Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday Challenge Simon Says Make It Colorful and Word Art Wednesday's Challenge Challenge #199 - Anything Goes/Family.  Come join the fun.



8 comments:

  1. Your watercolor backgrounds are gorgeous!! Beautiful colors and pretty stamped images!! Thanks for sharing with us at Word Art Wednesday this week, hope you'll join us next week for our 200th challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful water coloring! Super fun colors! The backgrounds, butterfly, and flower are stunning! I've been wanting to try the Brusho's however I've been putting of ordering them and now after seeing your cards I am hating that I put off ordering them this long :( Thank you for playing along in the Word Art Wednesday Challenge! I hope you will join us again next week for our big 200th Challenge. Have a blessed day!

    Charity - DT Member - Word Art Wednesday
    http://wordartwednesday.blogspot.com
    http://collectivecreativity.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful watercolor background. Thank you so much for taking time to post your very creative art with us this week at Word Art Wednesday, in our 199th challenge.
    Blessings and Hugs, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another set of fabulous card fronts! Love love the look of this new product! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello Andie! such beautiful flowers and butterfly...luv the watercolor background! so glad you played along with us for the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    sparkle & shine *~*

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely stunning, Andie. Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and share your talents with us. It means so much to me. I hope you have a blessed week, and that you will join us again soon.
    Karen
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are wonderful watercolor works of art

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?