Background

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

City Crafter Challenge #280: Fall Has Arrived


I am so pleased to be able to write this post to you.  I am the guest designer at the City Crafter Challenge blog for their challenge which starts today.  Their challenge for week 280 (this week!) is Fall Has Arrived.  For this challenge you can create a project or pick an element from the photo inspiration.


I don't know if you can tell, but I was inspired by the word Fall (since it isn't fall in Arizona until late October, I use any excuse to think of fall early!) and the pop of bright red in those apples.  For most parts of the Northern hemisphere, fall has just started and, yes!, leaves are falling.  But, it's also harvest time so that also a great idea to start with.  This photo could also inspire hills or other borders.  Just have fun.

I am so enjoying two things right now - shaker cards and my Brushos.  I immediately turned to both for inspiration.  Here's the details:
  • The background (which is actually in the foreground) was made by sprinkling Brilliant Red, Orange and Yellow Brushos watercolor crystals onto Strathmore watercolor paper.  I then used a spray bottle to mist water over the paper.  It created these splashes of color all on it's own.  I did leave the paper flat and used a heat tool to dry so I didn't (purposefully) get too much watercolor effect.  This technique leaves startling bursts of color.
  • I die cut the background with my Momenta Cut 'N Emboss Leaf die to cut out the openings for my shaker card.  I also cut leaves from glitter paper to put on the card front behind the window/foreground.
  • I used Jennifer McQuire's shaker card method to assemble my card, filling the openings with variegated seed beads.  I made a starter card for this with prills for the shaking that was a bit of a "fail".  Maybe I'll share that card with you to talk about what not to do.  I also used Jennifer's trick of die cutting a piece of white foam to raise my frame for the shaker card.  I cut the opening back only a small bit so that the beads can't hide too much in the edges.  It works beautifully and makes a very sturdy shaker card that can totally go through the mail.
  • The sentiment came from a Raisin Boat Thankful stamp set I won a couple of months ago during a challenge.  I stamped in brown Archival Ink and hand cut the flag, edging in Distress Inks.  A little more ink around the edges of my card and it is a fabulous finish.
Since I'm guesting at City Crafter Challenge, I will personally challenge you to join the fun.  The challenge ends September 28th, so hurry and join the fun!


8 comments:

  1. This is one STUNNING fall card Andie, I love the colors of your falling leaves, that makes me miss autumn in NYC, I know what you mean, Vegas is that way too, we hardly have any colors compared to the east coast, but I am happy that it is cooling down this past week.
    Thank you once again for your beautiful work for CCCB, you are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing and beautiful card - so full of fabulous techniques such as the shakers and the brushos - but most of all, the colours are gorgeous. Thank you for being a fabulous GD at CCCB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed with your card! You did a great job and I love the Brushos technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well fall jas arrived here and your card took breath away. Such an amazing take on the theme. I am so happy that we are having you as our Guest Desginer at CCCB. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so lovely to have you guesting with us this week Andie and your card is stunning!! So beautiful and full of the rich autumn colours I love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW - this is stunning. The colours are amazing and I love how you did the shaker within the leaves! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning card and congratulations on guest designing at City Crafters. Those bursho's in the background/foreground are absolutely gorgeous and shout out 'Fall'. Very clever idea to make a shaker card out of the die maple leaf, set off perfectly with the glitter card. A real wow card. Thank you so much for your kind and generous comments over on my blog, very much appreciated x.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello Andie! stunning background...luv this! so glad you played along with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    sparkle & shine *~*

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?