Background

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Better Together - A Mix and Match Challenge Week 5 by Brandy

During this time of quarantine, Brandy and I miss crafting together.  It isn't that we did so often - we didn't see each other every week sometimes.  It's more that we can't see each other.  So I had an idea to create a challenge each week - one just for Brandy and she could create one just for me.  Brandy has to amp the idea up and came up with our official title.  This is our fifth week of challenges.  I present to you Week Five of the Better Together - A Mix and Match Challenge.

Andie's Challenge for Brandy:

For this challenge, Brandy is required to utilize the color palette provided and create a project that is inspired by the quote and includes texture as one of the main elements.  The texture may be:


  • Tactile Texture – the real thing like the actual way a mermaid tail might have a scaly texture.
  • Visual Texture – an illusion of texture created by the artist using color and/or pattern to create the impression of texture like that created using stencils or patterned paper. 
  • Abstract Texture – also an illusion of texture created through the representation of texture using words which invoke a memory or thought of texture like a well stated sentiment such as “You are Mermazing” might invoke the thought of mesmerizingly shiny and smooth waves



This week Andie challenged me to create a card with a beautiful, summery color pallet and texture.  The inspiration clearly points to a mermaid and who am I to argue a good suggestion?


I have wanted to use my Taylored Expressions Be A Mermaid stamp and die set for a very long time, so it got put to work!  I used DVWV holographic paper to cut the mermaid tails. The DCWV holographic paper pad is one of my favorites!

The sun was stenciled using the MFT Radiating Rays (my favorite go-to sun ray stencil). I used Mustard Seed and Wild Honey Distress Oxide to try and achieve that very yellow sky sun you see in the afternoon at the beach.

The water is comprised of Tumbled Glass Distress Oxide on the bottom layer and the waves are from the Hero Arts Waves and Sea Confetti background die with Broken China Oxide on top. I was trying to create dimension and texture to meet the challenge. I wanted the reflection from the sun to show in the water, so I cut the background panel down to size.

Once again this week time was not on my side for finishing my challenge, but I got it in just under the wire.  I do plan to do more with these tools as I think it makes for a pretty look.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?