Background

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Better Together - A Mix and Match Challenge Week 4 by Andie

During this time of quarantine, Brandy and I miss crafting together.  It isn't that we did so often - we didn't see each other every week sometimes.  It's more that we can't see each other.  So I had an idea to create a challenge each week - one just for Brandy and she could create one just for me.  Brandy has to amp the idea up and came up with our official title.  This is our fourth week of challenges.  I present to you Week Four of the Better Together - A Mix and Match Challenge.

Brandy wrote a poem for my challenge this week:

This week’s challenge is a bit funny, 
as it is all about being punny.
Don’t fret, you are all set,
write your own pun on the run; or
use one from Dawn or Lawn Fawn.
Please no perspiration, I provided inspiration.
The color pallet is bright, 
primary colors will make a pretty sight.
Use just the three or maybe
mix those colors for a rainbow effect, 
either way, the card will be perfect.
Rules are for schools, but there are a few,
Clean and simple is fine or add a layer or two.
Your images must correlate with the joke,
or you will owe me a lunch and a coke. 
Now go get creating my friend,
Because on Monday this challenge comes to an end.






My first card was very simple, but did give me an opportunity to use a stamp that I purchased on a whim and have never used.  It was a clear cut pun so I knew that I had to use it.  The trick is what to do on the card to make the sentiment (pun) seem appropriate.  I ended with a stenciled, ink blended sun behind some die cut letters using my The Greetery Slimline Alphabet dies. Simple, punny and definitely hits all the color palette.  However, this card took less than 30 minutes to put together so I decided to make a few more cards to respond to the challenge.


My husband and I are fixin' to celebrate our anniversary in the next month.  When I read Brandy's challenge I also thought of my Lawn Fawn Whale You Be Mine? stamp set.  I think this card also accurately captures the challenge - punny on the inside and outside.  Those whales were stamped onto Bristol and colored with my Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers and then fussy cut out to be able to mount on the front of an stenciled, ink blended sea.  I did get all three colors in, though because I used my waterbrush, the red and yellow are not quite as bright as I'd like in the final picture (better in person).

I didn't know if I was quite done because I also remembered by Clearly Besotted That's So Tweet stamp set.  I decided to put these two cards together after coloring some of the birdies from that stamp set.  I like the bluebirds best, but both cards are charming.


I'm so grateful for a bestie who is willing to inspire and challenge me.  This challenge was a bit out of my box again with that primary colors palette.  I'm loving the opportunity to stretch as well as the connection with Brandy each week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?