Background

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Our Beautiful World - Gather

My Uncle Bobby is on the left with his back to you, grandma Mabel and grandpa Bob are the left most facing you and my father Roger is the one facing you on the right side of the picture. 

Our Beautiful World is at it again this week and I'm just going to have to play along.  This week's word prompt is Gather.  I immediately thought of these photos my mom sent of the 80th Army Division annual reunion.  This group was originally started as a World War II veteran's association meeting.  Over the years, the number of participants have dwindled.  My grandpa, Bob, was one of the youngest to go to war and he is now 91 years old.
Yet, there are a few diehard old men who still show up year after year.  The gathering usually involves a scrumptious meal together, some sort of outing to remember the men who died during the war, and long days of reminiscence in various seating areas around the hotel lobby.  It might seem weird for a granddaughter to enjoy these events, but it is a wonderful time to hear about a side of grandpa he doesn't show often.

The outing this year was to the battelfields in Virginia.  Not a lot of good photos in that batch, so I'm sharing these of their trip into Washington D.C where they climbed the Washington monument.  I love that these national monuments and the White house all have open space where, presumeably, people can gather.



Thanks for sticking wth me tonight and flipping through my photos.   Come join the fun at Our Beautiful World and show us what gathers in your neck of the woods.



5 comments:

  1. So cool to see the world war two veteran gather together, like my husband would say to any one in their uniform "Thank you for your service"! Lovely set of photos at DC too, thanks for sharing with us at Our Beautiful World, always good to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wonderful photos!! And so meaningful! My uncle was in the US army during the war....Thanks so much for sharing with us at OBW!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great take on the word Gather Andie! Wonderful photos and meaningful post. Thank you for joining us at OBW :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos! Nothing like "gathering" around the table!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?