Background

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Giving Thanks This Season


I had previously mentioned that I created a card for the City Crafter challenge that was a fail.  I'm finally getting around to posting the fail.  Here's the details where I include the parts I didn't like so much:

challenge submission card

  • The background (which is actually in the foreground) was made by sprinkling Brilliant Red, Orange and Yellow Brushos watercolor crystals onto Strathmore watercolor paper.  I then used a spray bottle to mist water over the paper.  I taped the paper to my work surface with painters tape and used a heat tool to dry.  However, I used a lot more water and you can see how this background is more watercolor that the one I chose for the challenge.  For this card (not always - because I'm loving my Brushos for watercolor backgrounds), it really like the small burst of color in the challenge submission.
  • I die cut the background with my Momenta Cut 'N Emboss Leaf die to cut out the openings for my shaker card.  I also cut leaves from glitter paper to put on the back of the card behind the window.  Nothing that is a specific "fail" in my mind here.
  • I used Jennifer McQuire's shaker card method to assemble my card, filling the openings with October Tango prills.  I didn't add enough prills and also used foam squares to adhere my shaker card, rather than Jennifer's trick of die cutting a piece of white foam to raise my frame for the shaker card.  The result is an opening that allows the prills to hide and thus, not have enough "shake" (compared to the submission card above.
  • The sentiment came from a Raisin Boat Thankful stamp set.  I stamped in brown Archival Ink and hand cut the flag, edging in Distress Inks.  Again, something I couldn't screw up!
Having criticized the heck out of the card, I will say that I used this card like all the others.  To a person who didn't see the submission card, my "fail" is perfectly adorable.  I think this a good example of how our vision doesn't play out.  This can often lead to decisions about a project's worth that is inaccurate.  Proof that crafting is not always comparable and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I say our inner critics should take a nap and we should get onto more crafting!

I linked this up at SSS Monday Challenge: Autumn is in the Air.  Come join the fun!



4 comments:

  1. We tends to be hard on ourself, this one is as beautiful Andie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well see I like both - they are both as beautiful as the other ! Love it. Have a fabulous rest of the week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your card ! it's so beautiful! Your color choice is absolutely perfect and the design so amazing! thanks for joining us this week on Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't be too hard on yourself. I think it's a gem and I love the variety of techniques and colors. In my opinion you did a fab job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?