Background

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Creative Chemistry 102: Sketching

For this technique, Tim actually stated that he's not a doodler.  His point is that this technique sorta mimics doodling without all the free hand artistic talent actually required for doodling.  If you really want to be inspired by this kind of talent I'll suggest a trip over to Anni's place at Handgathered.  She has an artistic talent that one might even suggest drives her creativity.  I just watch in amazement.

My lack of this kind of artistic talent (or shall we say- comfort) means that I feel like I struggled with this technique.  I used two different stencils to give it a try.  The Tim Holtz Bubble stencil on the right.  The idea is that you first lightly apply Distress Ink through the stencil using an Ink Blending Tool.  Then, you go back with the same or similar Distress Marker outlining some of the stencil, coloring portions of the stencils with more ink, etc.  My effort feels strained or pushed.  The stencil on the right- an ancient frame stencil from the stash was downright horrible- outline too dark/stark against the background, etc.  I ended up cupping my hand around that area and spritzing with water and blotting/air drying the area to soften it to this somewhat acceptable result.
Anni is a constant inspiration to me so her challenge might make me revisit this technique in the future.  Isn't it funny how I have a comfort level when it comes to my creativity.  Still, when I focus on how much fun my crafting is to me, I don't feel like I'm missing a thing.  I am guessing that feeling is a little bit of what it's all about.  Plus, it takes all kinds to make the world go around.




2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful, that you are able to try all these new things and appreciate you sharing your results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andie, I've been loving your recent work here with your Creative Chemistry classes. Very inspiring, loving the distressed nature of all the pieces. Then I see your reference to my blog and I can't wipe the smile off my face. Thanks for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?