Background

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Celebrating 20 Years of Wedded Bliss


I blogged a card earlier this year that I made to celebrate my 20th wedding anniversary.  Twenty years is a big accomplishment, but I'll honestly say that I am blessed to have found my husband and don't take credit for any wisdom in the finding.  I can see now that I could never have *known* he was such a great choice.  I firmly believe that he is a blessing bestowed upon me by the Most High God and I thank Him for this man.
The very first time I laid eyes upon my husband was my first day of work at a new job during college.  The job was a part time employment at a small business and I was the receptionist.  I'd no idea what a receptionist does.  They had set me at a desk right by the front door.  Behind me sat a small table with the business "mail boxes".  I was sitting there day-dreaming (I didn't know what to do) and this young man walked by to go get his mail.  The strangest thought crossed my mind- "Now that's the kind of man I could marry".  The thought was strange because I was 20 years old with no intentions of getting married.  I still had 3 years of college to complete and, at the time, I was brutal to young men that tried to court me.  I simply didn't have the time or interest.  I came to find out that this "kind of man I could marry" was involved in a serious relationship and soon became engaged to the lady.  Over the course of the next two years we came to know each other well, my Dan (I can say that now) was the co-ed softball coach and perpetually in need of girls to play ball.  He spent copious amounts of time teaching us girls to hit and field the ball.  Eventually, he called off the engagement and asked me out.  The rest, my friends, is a matter of history. 

I purchased this papercut from allcutupbydg whose shop on Etsy is filled with all kinds of hand created goodness.  I can promise you, if I were wealthy, I would own or gift every single piece she has created.  Still, this one piece caught my eye when Cath featured it in a post over at the Moxie Fab World.  Dan didn't necessarily know when I first saw him, but some innate part of me knew, so this seemed a fitting tribute to celebrate our milestone anniversary.

I finally found the right frame for the right price.  I covered the matting provided in the commercial frame with a piece of linen that I had in the stash.  I used glue lines to wrap the linen around the matting and glue it down.  A couple of small glue dots under a flower near the corner and under the tiny bird and the papercut will stay in place.  This work of art is going up in my bedroom near our engagement photo and an embroidered piece that a friend of the family gave us on our wedding day.

Thank you for indulging my in my reminiscence.  I still feel much like that 20 year old looking at possibilities and dreaming of a day...


5 comments:

  1. What a sweet story and beautiful cut. And here I was hoping you were gonna tell me how to make that paper cut, etsy is a dangerous place for me, I don't go there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely stunning!!! I love it. Fabulous post and thanks for sharing :-) Have a fabulous rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations my friend!!!!! 20 years and many many more to come!
    Beautiful piece of art, I pop over and took a look, no wonder you said you would buy the whole shop, her work is so pretty and delicate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to say a big thank you for featuring my papercut on your post and for being so positive about my shop :) It looks really beautiful mounted on linen, such a good idea!
    It seems very fitting for such a lovely story, congratulations to both you and Dan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet love story! Congratulations and for many more. And you are right that piece of work is awesome! TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?