Background

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Creative Chemistry 102- Shabby Chic

I still have a few techniques that I've not tried yet.  I'm hoping to get to them this week.  I thought I would share this last photo which was sitting in the blog queue un-posted.  This technique is pretty cool.  I used this rather small die cut from my Stampin' Up Apothecary Accents Framelits because it seemed to have the correct style.  I can see where a larger die cut would be more impressive, but you make due with what's at hand when you are in class!

The technique is accomplished by laying down a layer of Black Soot Distress Paint over the entire die cut.  Be sure this layer is completely dry before the next step.  I then stamped using Embossing Ink the swirl images from a Fiskars stamp set.  I embossed the images with clear embossing powder.  After the piece had cooled, I covered the entire die cut in Picket Fence Distress Paint.  Any light color would do.  The pink shade is particularly nice.  Allow the paint to dry slightly and then spritz some water on a soft cloth and wipe over the embossed area.  The water will lift off the Distress Paint and create the soft, shabby look.  I'm not sure this technique would work well with non-Distress acryllic paint which aren't reactive with water, but you might give it a try just to see.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again.  One of the reasons Tim Holtz is a papercrafting rockstar to me is that he encourages us to use what we have and to look at what we have differently.  For a not-so-closet-craft-hoarder that is a encouraging inspiration.  I want to encourage each of you to do the same. Play and try.  It will eventually pay off.

2 comments:

  1. Love the look of this, almost looks like a worn piece of fabric! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a fun and awesome technique!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?