Background

Monday, February 8, 2016

Our Beautiful World - Markings


Our Beautiful World is a photo blog with a weekly word prompt inspiring participants to share photos.  This week's prompt is Markings. I chose to share these photos of my father-in-law's gravesite.  We lost Ed nearly a year ago.  After the ceremony at the gravesite, the beautiful flowers from the funeral were laid on top of the grave.  My husband visited frequently in those first few weeks.  Little did I know how very important the headstone is to his family.  Dan could always find where his dad was buried, but the gravestone took months to install due to an error on the part of the cemetery.  The absence of this simple, but elegant marking was a source of anxiety and sorrow that I wouldn't have been able to predict.  My husband visits and talks about how healing it is to see the gravestone and remember.  Before this point, I wouldn't have understood the importance.  Now I do.


Dan's dad, Ed, is buried next to his grandparents.  It is healing to Ed's wife Pat who has been visiting her parents here for years.  We might dismiss the importance of these markings, but they have a lasting impact on our lives as we grieve and heal.

What do you think of when you read the word markings?  Something very different, I hope.  Pop on over to Our Beautiful World and see what the others have been contributing.  They never disappoint!



4 comments:

  1. Such a lovely thoughtful post. Hugs, Karon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your photo and story with us at Our Beautiful World Andie, it is always hard when it comes to this, my brother-in-law Dan passed November 2014, it is still hard for my hubby at times, especially when his other brother called to chat about football, it always reminded him of his conversation with Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss ... Very poignant photos... Thanks so much for sharing them with us at OBW!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My condolences!Yes these markings are very important in our lives!Thank you for sharing with us in Our Beautiful World!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?