Background

Saturday, February 20, 2016

City Crafter Challenge 299 - Negativity A Card Set


Hello.  I'm back again with a card set inspired by the City Crafter Challenge Negativity.  The challenge provides the following picture as inspiration:



and requires the use of the negative space created by a die cut.  In this case, I used my paper trimmer to create this "negative" frame.  Rather than popping the flowers up, I popped the background forward and created a little window through which to see my lovely petunias.  Here's the details which are the same as the card shared earlier in the week:

  • I used my Prima Oil Pastel crayons by coloring directly onto the solid background stamp of my Rubbernecker Petunia stamp set.   I used the bright yellow in the center and the redish pink around the yellow - coloring like I was filling the image in.  I then spritzed the stamp with a mister and used a damp brush to dab at the stamp to activate and blend the colors.  On this first card, I mixed too much and the red overwhelmed the yellow.  I then stamped onto Strathmore watercolor paper.
  • When the image was dry, I stamped with Archival Black ink the outline image and embossed with clear embossing powder.  I used a similar technique to this video except that I used the oil pastels to color.  
  • I then cut the image out of the paper using my paper trimmer.  I had drew in the black lines/dot pattern with a black marker and adhered the sequins with some clear glue.
  • I colored the rest of the watercolor paper with a watercolor brush and the orange oil pastel, stamping the sentiment in black Archival ink once dry.  I used a piece of craft foam to evenly raise the frame around the flowers. 
Inspired by all the color in the photo, I decided to experiment with the crayons and the various color combinations.   



Probably my favorite of the set, but not the best photos I've taken.  The sequins do a good job of picking up the color on the card too.













This card is probably the most striking in person.  I'm not a fan of orange, but it really works in this card.  I ran out of space due to some shortsighted paper trimming and ended up with just one line in the frame.  It works too, I think.























This last photo is the worst of all.  I ended up giving this card to Brandy who is recuperating from a minor surgery.  She's healing wonderfully and I just wanted to celebrate her and our friendship while giving her a cheer up.  I think this card (her favorite color, purple!) sent the message intended.

I have super enjoyed my time as the guest designer for the City Crafter Challenges this month.  I can't believe how much fun it was to play with color and create this card set.  I think I will send a couple of these over for the Lasting Hearts Card Drive over at Jennifer McGuire's blog.

I hope you are inspired to join us too.  Use the leavings from your die cuts - the negative part - and make something beautiful.  You could always send it in for a wonderful charity like Lasting Hearts.  Just don't forget to link up with the City Crafter Challenge, you've three short days left to join the fun.  I'll look forward to seeing you over there.


4 comments:

  1. Andie this set of cards is truly amazing. Every color palette is gorgeous and your watercoloring is lovely. I am newbie to watercoloring and seeing this I definitely want to try this. I love how you added the black borders. Double and single; your hand drawing is fab!
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work the watercolouring is sublime and each one is perfection.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cards and hope Brandy is fully on the mend. TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?