Background

Thursday, February 18, 2016

City Crafter Challenge 299 - Negativity


Hello.  I'm back again with another card inspired by the City Crafter Challenge Negativity.  The challenge provides the following picture as inspiration:


The challenge requires you to use the negative space created by a die cut.  In this case, it isn't a die that I used, but my paper trimmer to create this frame.  Rather than popping the flowers up with foam squares, I popped the background forward and created a little window through which to see my lovely petunias.  Here's the details:


  • I used my Prima Oil Pastel crayons by coloring directly onto the solid background stamp of my Rubbernecker Petunia stamp set.   I used the bright yellow in the center and the peachy orange around the yellow - coloring like I was filling the image in.  I then spritzed the stamp with a mister and used a damp brush to dab at the stamp to activate and blend the colors - not very much so as to not mix the colors.  I then stamped onto Strathmore watercolor paper.
  • When the image was dry, I stamped with Archival Black ink the outline image and embossed with clear embossing powder.  I used a similar technique to this video except that I used the oil pastels to color.  
  • I then cut the image out of the paper using my paper trimmer.  I had drew in the black lines/dot pattern with a black marker and adhered the sequins with some clear glue.
  • I colored the rest of the watercolor paper with a watercolor brush and the orange oil pastel, stamping the sentiment in black Archival ink once dry.  I used a piece of craft foam to evenly raise the frame around the flowers. 
I am inspired by all the color in the photo and now want to make a set of these cards using the technique.  I have had a bit of a challenging schedule this week, but the weekend is coming soon.  Let's see what I can do.

Isn't all this challenging fun?  I have really enjoyed my time as the guest designer for the City Crafter Challenges this month.  I hope you are inspired to join us too.  Pick up the left overs of your die cuts - the negative part - and make something beautiful.  I'll look forward to seeing you over there.

I going to link up this project over at Word Art Wednesday Challenge #220 Anything Goes.




7 comments:

  1. What I love about this card is the subtle touch of color on your frame. Perfect and it makes the flowers even more gorgeous. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andie! This is beautiful! Lovely water-coloring! Thanks also for the encouragement at my blog. I wen looking for you at the City Crafter Challenge and did not see you there, but managed to track you down! Thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the calmness and the colours of this card. Thank you for the step by step using the oil pastels. I've loved your inspiration on The City Crafter Challenge blog this past month x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous - I love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautifully done! Wonderful technique. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Word Art Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome and great image. So blessed you joined our last Challenge and hope you join us again in our current Challenge at Word Art Wednesday. Leaving you with the encouragement only the Word of God can provide in James 1:12 which tells us, "Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him." Have a blessed weekend.

    JO ANN
    http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?