Background

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Freehand Sketch and Watercolor




I grew up in northern Arizona and had the pleasure of seeing beautiful wild flowers of different colors.  While it is only a few hours from where I now live in the desert to the mountains,  I don't get to visit as much as I would like.  I often think of those places as inspiration for my art/crafting.

So, I decided to do some freehand sketches that I could watercolor. I would typically use a water soluble pencil for this, but I wanted to have the lose black line remain on the painting. My plan was to be very loose and use very bright colors. So, I ordered what I thought was a waterproof pen and got to sketching as soon as it got here as you can see I was enjoying this very much and sketched out several panels.





Several days later I went to start painting and realized very quickly that the ink from the pen is NOT waterproof at all.  This meant instead of throwing caution to the wind and letting the watercolor be loose, I had to be much more careful or just scrap the sketches. 

I could completely avoid the ink, so it ran into the paints resulting in a much more muted color pallet than I had originally planned.  However, in the end I got to practice my painting and learned to test pens before you paint, even if what you bought said it was waterproof.

I decided not to paint the other sketches,  they will remain as they are.  





















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?