Background

Monday, January 20, 2020

Channeling My Inner Kristina


Hello crafty friends.  I  love Valentine's Day. I love the story of St. Valentine's Day, I love red, black, and white, with a little gold (stayed tuned for more cards with that in mind), and I love telling the people I love the most, just that... I love them.

I think Valentine's Day just lends itself to big over the top cards with lots of fun embellishments and also to pretty classic designs with flourishes and beautiful written sentiments,  and that is how I typically like to roll. So, why is the card in this post so simple? Why is it about channeling my inner Kristina?

I realized this year that for several years (not sure how many and not willing to look) Kristina Werner has made a Valentine's Day card using just Crayola watercolors, inexpensive watercolor paper, and that is about it.  She refers to it as using "minimal supplies".

I have to be honest, when I think of Kristina's talent I typically think of her handwriting, stamp designs, and painting with Mission Gold watercolors, not Crayola watercolors and "minimal supplies".

I happened to have some Crayola watercolors from a project with the kiddos and though I might investigate why such a talent with access to so many creative options would take her time to make and video such a simple card.


To make my card, I first started with a scrap of watercolor cardstock, drew, hearts down the middle, and painted each one in a different shade of red.  However, I didn't measure the watercolor sheet and it was not cut to fit on a card and was not used in a finished product, but I have included it here.


Then I took another piece of scrap watercolor paper and drew a bigger heart with a smaller one inside.  I only did this to try and add some type of design element to the card.  I then stamped the sentiment with a Valentine's sentiment from the Winnie and Walter Sentimental: Love stamp set.  The front was glued to a pre-made card base and there you go.

After completing the project, I can honestly say something simple isn't really for me.  However, the card is ok and if you have kids or young adults  that want to make a card, but you don't want to buy more expensive items or they want to do something quick or simple, this isn't a bad idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?