Background

Friday, August 2, 2013

Organize your Heartfelt Creations Stamps and Dies



The stash of Heartfelt Creations stamps and matching dies is growing.  I found myself in need of a storage system.  Something simple... just to keep all the pieces in one place.

I started with an empty journal notebook that hadn't found a purpose and was just hanging out in the stash.  The journal is similar to this one.  

I ended up taking the thing apart- it was bound much like a Cinch product so I just pulled the wires apart.  I found that the binding didn't allow for more than 4 sets of magnetic die pages and the plastic stamp storage. 




I cut the Icon "K" frame from my Cricut Ashlyn's Alphabet cart.  The size was around 2".   This frame folded in half lengthwise looks just like a tab to me.  The name of the set was printed out on the computer and the cut apart using my paper trimmer.  I inked all of the edged as I adhered the tabs in place.











I layered some adhesive magnet sheets to a journal page.  The version available at my local Js were 9 x 12 in. sheets which I cut in half and adhered to the journal page with my tape glider.  I then used some patterned paper to cover the magnet sheet.  The edges were once again inked with my Vintage Photo Distress ink. 

These flower dies still have the placement frame in place for die cutting stamped images.  A video for making these type of cuts can be found here.  The frames can stay on as long as the tape lasts.  A new frame is easy to make with another piece of scrap paper.  It just happened that these frames were the right color to go with my book design!

One huge caution if you intend to make your own- I made a similar version for Brandy's birthday earlier this year.  I followed instructions similar to this example.  I am not sure what went wrong.  I used a photo album like this one and placed two 1 1/2 inch strips of magnet vertical on each page and then covered in patterned paper.  The example indicated that should be enough magnet to hold the dies.  However, when Brandy tried to load her dies they would slip off when the page was turned.  I am thinking this might be because the pages were bigger creating the ability to bend the pages which released the magnetic bond.  We're going to have to take evasive action and do a little repair work.  My pages were smaller, so I ended up using only one rectangle 6 x 9 on the page instead of strips.  I had fewer dies, so just cut up the package evenly and ended up with bigger pieces.  My book doesn't have quite the same problems.  Just make sure to make a test page before you finish your first page off.  Load it up with your dies and turn the pages a couple of times. 

I like my storage, but I liked Brandy's book better.  Here's hoping that we can successfully repair her book.


2 comments:

  1. This is such a fabulous way to store your dies!! Love the idea of having them in a book and adding the magnetic sheets! Hope you are able to sort out Brandy's for her. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that is such a brilliant idea! TFS!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?