Background

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Happy May Day!


That's right, it is May 1st again and an opportunity for celebrating the coming of May.  I've posted before about May Day and the tradition of giving May Baskets.   I think I've successfully transferred this tradition on to my children.  Whether they actually keep the tradition going remains to be seen.  I don't think they have a single friend (other than Keri's kids, check out the post linked above) who knows what a May Day Basket is or not. 

This year's baskets are minimalist designed.  Softball consumes a great deal of time, so the opportunity to make embellishments for these little babies is preciously small. 








I'd made up some of the Delicate Asters using my stamps and dies from Heartfelt Creations.  I layered two of the small, medium and larger flowers to create these full flowers.  A little Crystal Accents and some glitter added some sparkle to my basket.  The basket is a colored plastic cup that I punched a hole in each side and bent a floral wire up and around to make a handle.  The sentiment came from last year's (see link in first paragraph) baskets that I colored a teal blue in Word.  I cut the circles using my *very old* Making Memories circle cutters.  Brandy gave her's away at the CK convention and it made me think, either use it or lose it.  I really enjoyed the using, so I think I'll just use it as I'm not quite ready to lose it. 

The insides are filled with some traditional goodness.  Red licorice is usually the handle for the basket, but I couldn't bear to leave out.  Popcorn and malted milk balls are also a traditional favorite.  A couple of Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pops just to see if we can find out how many licks it does take.  I am missing the pixy sticks, might stop on the way home to pick some up to include in those made later today. 

Happy May Day!  Hope yours was special (or at least marked by your own kind of celebration).

Andie

1 comment:

  1. Theres that gorgeous flower again and what a fabulous gift idea! TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?