Background

Friday, May 24, 2013

A Crafty Softball Party

I am afraid that this might just be my last post of softball craftiness.  My youngest daughter moves onto high school next year and the commitments for high school activities are likely to make her too busy for participation in recreational softball any longer.  She's completed 13 seasons with her dad over the course of 7 years.  Twice a year for 6-8 weeks we were a dedicated mom and seasoned dad/coach that focused our energies on eleven (or thirteen) lovely young ladies and development of their talents/skills.  My contribution was mainly the picture taking during the games and then this type of craftiness for our end of the season party.  Without further ado (read: ending the bemoaning of the fact that my children are growing up)...


Each season the girls sign a frame for the team photo.  This is the thank you gift for the coaches.  We've always had multiple coaches helping.  This is a great support system to ensure that no matter what delays in a coach getting to practice there would always be enough help on hand. It makes for a better team and the girls love having dad help out.

I once again collected photos of each girl and created a photo album with their specific shots. 
Each book contained kid specific, team and friend photos.  This season was marked by quite a few funny faces, embarrassing/weird positions and an abundance of tongues hanging out of mouths.  I wisely edited the photos to pick those where the girls might be *shyly* proud of themselves on print. 

This season was marked by growth and frustratingly close losses.   Yet, it was a satisfying season and if it ends up being the finale of my husband Dan's softball coaching career, I think he'll be quite proud. 


I decided to skip the usual picture cake and get some pre-made Angry Birds (the team mascot/name) cupcakes topping them with these rosettes framing the player's photos.  I used the same technique as that recorded in last years post- Softball- Its almost over.  Instead of using the Cricut to cut the image out, I used my ancient but functional Creative Memories Circle Cutters.  I think the final result a little bit neater. 

Dan talked to the girls about transitions and how next year's high school activities move them on to new and exciting opportunities.  He encouraged them to pursue the opportunities whether they involve softball, band, or social growth with friends.  He also encouraged them to remember these times playing recreational softball with their friends and look for the lessons learned to apply them to their lives.  There's a tiny part (read:BIG) in me that deeply regrets passages- especially those which clearly point out that my children are growing up.    However, the enthusiasm and maturity evidenced by these young women make me excited to see what they turn into and how they change the world.  Truthfully, they've already changed my world...

Andie

2 comments:

  1. You have been busy my dear! What a great send off you were able to give those girls. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely posy Andy - and so true. Our kids grow up to quick! Lovely gift idea and memories to treasure. Have a great Sunday.

    Karon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?