Background

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Very Pretty Birthday Wish


One of my coworkers requested my help on a special occasion birthday card.  Oh boy, was I willing to help?!  I still had not played with my Heartfelt Creations Vintage Floret stamps and dies that I picked up as a part of my classes at the CK convention in April.  April doesn't seem that long ago, but it has been eight weeks.


I started by stamping on some shiny vellum using my Shaded Lilac Distress Ink.  If you haven't created flowers with Heartfelt Creations' dies, they have a great video collection over at their website.  This video provides the instructions for the technique I used to cut these flowers from the vellum.  Just a word of encouragement- this isn't a precise/exact science.  Look closely at those flowers, they weren't cut perfectly, but you never notice in the final finished product.

I decided that the shiny vellum was not quiet enough- this is a milestone birthday that we're celebrating after all.  To amp up the shine, I applied a light layer of Champagne Glimmer Glaze.  This product goes on a lot like a very thin nail polish and dries very rapidly.  I then shaped each petal following the instructions from this video and glued the layers together. The centers were made using my Viva Decor Ivory Pearl Pen

The medallion was cut using Cricut's Sophie cartridge [accent4].  I cut the shadow from a dark textured cardstock.  The swirl was cut from a very old piece of K & Company paper from the stash.  The leaves were cut from Cricut's Picturesque cartridge [Leaves] and edged in Vintage Photo Distress Ink.  I also shaped the leaves.  I printed the sentiment out on a piece of cardstock.  After all that prep, the last step was the design.  I used this and then loosely interpreted the final card design.  I used a fair bit of purple in the design, but the pictures don't do it justice. 

The card was made from a chocolate brown cardstock so I needed to finish the inside to allow for additional sentiments.  I stamped one lonely little floret in the corner with the Shaded Lilac Distress Ink, finishing with a layer of Glimmer Glam and a small bit of glitter.  I think the card turned out lovely.  I'm sure having fun with all these flowers.  I'll have to move on to different tools soon enough.  Til then, enjoy!

I entered this card in Simon Says Stamp Challenge Anything Goes.   You have until next Wednesday, July 3rd to join the fun. 




1 comment:

  1. Love this creation. That backing paper in itself is fabulous. Love love your flowers, they are beautiful and I love the inking! TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?