Background

Friday, October 19, 2012

Scrapbooking with your Grandma



My son and daughter recently joined me on a Fall break trip to Colorado to visit my Grandma and Grandpa. It is such a blessing to be an adult grandchild spending time with your kids and grandparents. I remember the not-often visits with my own great-grandparents. My prayer is that they will continue with us for years so that my children might have an adult relationship with their own great-grandparents. 




We traveled from their home in Broomfield, Colorado to Estes Park and down to Colorado Springs. The depth of color and range of beauty is breathtaking. We saw snow up on Trail Ridge Road (they have already had their first storm of the winter season).  The days were usually sunny and bright.




However, truthfully speaking spending time with my grandparents was the real highlight of the trip.  I was even able to squeeze in some crafting time with my Grandma.  She saw a pretty crown stamp that she will likely use on card envelopes (her arthritis makes crafting alone difficult).  So, I picked out some Graphic 45 paper and bought a card set so that I could make these cards with her.  Grandma makes suggestions and I make the cards.







The craft tape (brown crowns) comes from a Recollection tape set I picked up and gifted to my grandma.  She can use it to artfully close letters she sends to folks.  She still regularly send letters in the mail.  We always get a card for the minor holidays like St. Patrick's Day and Valentine's Day (postmarked from Loveland, Colorado!).


I picked up the sentiment stamp in a small store in Estes Park called Rocky Mountain Memories and Paper Arts Studio.  They specialize in beautiful paper with photo quality landscapes of the Rocky Mountains.  A whole rack is lined up at the door.  They also sell a good deal of Ranger and Graphic 45 product, just up my alley.  We made 4 of this variation in design and then made a smattering of other cards from various scraps. 




Grandma would model each after they were finished.  I can tell you that this quiet time was incredibly precious to me and better than a thousand hours spent crafting alone. 









The cards even embody a little of grandma's style- very old fashioned and soft colors. 









 Can you tell, I love my grandma very much?!?





I say grab a scrap buddy and make something paper this weekend.  I intend to spend all day tomorrow with my bff Brandy at Embellish It's Play All Day.  There's still room to join us.  It promises to be good. 

Looking forward to many more craft days with my grandma (and a future post on some crocheting that was done on the same trip)-

Andie

1 comment:

  1. Andie - what a lovely post and what a precious time you had. Granny's cards are wonderful. Thank you for your support on my blog - I really do appreciate it. I wish I had all my blog friends so close that I could craft with each and everyone of you. None of my friends here craft which is why I love blogging so much. Have a great weekend Andie. Hugs, Karon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?