Background

Friday, March 23, 2012

Creative Chemistry 101- Brushless Watercolor Technique

Still trying to catch up on posting my homework practices for my Creative Chemistry 101 class with Tim Holtz.  This technique was a little harder for me.  I'm too much of a perfectionist.  I obsessively, precisely stamp images, often making them uneven in my zeal.  So, this technique challenged me.  I think you are seeing the product of my 8th attempt.  I think I finally made something and I really like the idea.  I guess that means I'll need to do more practicing.


 The technique involves applying different colors of Distress Ink to the stamp.  After that, you spritz the stamp (holding it flat so the ink doesn't run) with water.  The trick for me involved using more water and then
lightly placing the stamp onto the watercolor paper.  I mostly applied too little water (I don't want to ruin the stamp effect ?!?) and too much pressure (see comment above, anxiety driven need for the perfect stamped image!!!).  Patience was the key and after several (8) attempts, I found just the right combination.  The finishing touches included applying some Distress Ink around the edges and tearing the bottom paper.  I don't want to take any credit for the techniques in my practice samples.  Remember, I've just followed Tim's instructions.  Even using his suggestion to pick up water on the torn edge and let the water wick along the paper to create the cool water color effect for the "ground" in my image.  The watercolor paper was mounted to a Kraft paper tag cut using the Cricut and Picturesque cart.  This is a technique I will need to spend more time with to perfect my skill.  Still, the learning was fun and will definately be added to the repretoire.

Andie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?