Background

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Comment Verification and the Bane of the Simple Crafters Blog Management

I'm not a technical person.  I work heavily on a computer, but a computer is simply a tool used by me to accomplish a task that I'm actually good at.  What never ceases to amaze me is why anyone would want to backlink to my little ole blog which doesn't see a lot of traffic (did I mention earlier this year that after almost 2 years of posts we've just had our 10,000 visit?).  It is mind boggling.  Yet, here is where we find ourselves... the amount of spam comments has dramatically risen in the past month.  This pesky occurrence might be the result of the 10,000 comment milestone or it might be a random thing that some genius somewhere created software to do and they've no idea how useless connecting to my blog is.

Either way, in hopes that I might be able to prevent the spam and maybe go back to a certain amount of oblivion, I've instituted the comment verification here at Contagiously Crafty.  It seems that better minds than I are skeptical whether this will help.  So, if I can stop the verification I will do so.  Please bear with us while I try to figure this out.  I hope it will not prevent your comments from being made.  Each comment is precious to both Brandy and I and we love to hear from you- especially Karon, Anni and Jessica who do so regularly and are a source of humor and encouragement. 

Enjoy life in the new age of information sharing!  I'm going to go focus on uploading the last photos of our work at the convention and see if I can put a post together for tomorrow.

Andie

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see that the spammers haven't just been hitting mine! Most of the spam is being filtered out - either because Blogger is catching it or because instead of Captcha I set it up so that there's two week window to post without *me* having to verify the post before it publishes. I loathe comment verification boxes and rarely comment when they are on a post so it felt hypocritical to put it on my blog. For now I'm able to keep up with the system. *sigh*

    Can't wait for the new photos to show up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fully understand and really don't understand what possible satisfaction these spammers can get from doing what they do! The proverbial question - WHY? Any hoos, I will still be visiting you, you can't get rid of me that easily :-) Hugs, Karon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?