Background

Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Little Bridal Shower Card


My cousin's kid is getting married in a couple of weeks.  I'm always so confused by the relationship phrases.  When I was growing up (in the Midwest) my grandma was very concerned that we know everyone we were related to.  She didn't want us to end up marrying a cousin or something.  This reality becomes humorous when you find out that I'm not biologically related to this grandma or her family :).  But, my dad is really my dad- though not biologically my dad- so I think she thought the bond (or perceived bond) so real she didn't want it to look bad around town.  Either way, I grew up hearing about my cousins once removed and my first and second cousins.  I never really got the clear connection.  

I think the daughter of my cousin is actually my first cousin once removed and my children's second cousin.  Either way, a bridal shower is definitely an occasion to make a card.  This one is made using MME's The Sweetest Thing Tangerine collection.  I am running out of the best/smallest patterns and that is going to make finishing strong difficult, but I've so loved this set that I am convinced to use it some more. 

The flowers were stamped using my Heartfelt Creations Posy stamps and brown Archival Ink.  I then cut the flowers using my Heartfelt Creations Posy dies on my Sizzix Tagalong.  I shaped the flowers and glued them together.  The rest of the card is simply cutting solid cardstock to size, inking the edges and gluing everything down.  
 

The sentiment was made using Word.  I commonly use text boxes to create these type of sentiments.  You can see that I've used three different text boxes leaving open spaces in the brown typeset to place the smaller "one" and "soul" text boxes which also have different font, font size and color.  Just make sure to set the text box settings to have no fill color and no line color.  I used the arrow keys to fine position the boxes until my eye was satisfied. 

Edited to add:  If you've not used text boxes before, these instructions can be a bit sketchy.  For a tutorial on text boxes, try this. Notice the options for "No line" and "No fill".  This is what I'm referring to above.  You can edit the font, font size, and font color just like any other part of your Word document.

I've included the jpegs of the sentiments inside and out.  If you can pick them up with enough resolution to be useful, have fun.  I just found the sentiment perfect for the occasion and thought I would share. 



For the inside I simply layered more paper with another computer generated sentiment printed on my printer.  I haven't decided on purchasing a gift and/or a gift card.  You might see a finely decorated package next or not.  We'll have to see.  Either way, my decision needs to be a fast one because the shower is now less than a week away.


I created this card using the Mojo Monday 290 sketch.  I think I'll post it over there and get in on the fun.  You should think about joining the fun too!  Just hurry as the Linky ends tomorrow at 8 pm Mountain time.

Andie

4 comments:

  1. Stunning! I absolutely adore this card, like I'm so CASEing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've confused me thoroughly, but I love your card!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at the Simon Says Stamp challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card Andie. I adore those flowers and what a wonderful sketch. Hope you have had a wonderful weekend. Sat here watching the hockey with Andy and thought I would catch up on some visits too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha. That terminology sounds so familiar to this Midwest-born girl! Very pretty shower card.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?