Background

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bubble Guppies!

My good friend, Keri, recently made a request.  Could the Cricut cut out 2 inch circles?  She meant lots of them.  Having replied in the affirmative, I found out the neat idea she had found online.  Her son, Axl, was turning 2 years old.  He loves the Bubble Guppies and so the theme of the party would include bubbles.  Keri found this idea on a blog while searching the internet to find theme based party favors.  The decoration is made by stringing 2 inch circles on fishing line to create the illusion of bubbles.  This is the final product:

 
 I decided to mess with the contrast of one of the pictures to see if I could enhance the attachment method for you.  This is my attempt...  Four different colors of vellum were used to cut the circles, light, mid and dark blue (all with a sheen to the vellum).  Additionally, a shiny white vellum was used.  The circles were then adhered to the fishing line with glue dots.  Can you see the glue dot on the white circle on the left or the two lighter circles at the top of the right string of circles?  Finally, Happy Birthday bubbles from a free printout at nickjr.com were hand cut and adhered to the bottom of each string.  Silly Keri, Cricut could have cut that too!  What a quick and simple decoration, but with a result that is very satisfying!?!  In my effort to display the bubblicious decorations, I didn't include in the picture the buffet spread which was situated on the island counter top below the bubbles.  


I did get Keri's permission to share some of the other fabulous party details.  I thank her for her willingness to let me into her creativity.  She is one of the people who really inspires me and motivates me to pursue my own creativity (one of the key reasons for this blog).  Here's a quick run through of the other party activities/decorations.



The cake and cake pops were really one of the best decorations to be had.  Keri had a secret local baker who made a delicious pink lemonade cake and vanilla and chocolate cake pops. 









I sat enjoying watching the kids ask for their favorite character to be sliced on their piece of cake.  Always so tricky when partying with toddlers!












Could these cake pops be any cuter?  I have a closer picture of the pops I was bestowed with to take home which I have included below.  Way cool!










Of course, no toddler party is complete without activities to keep them busy.  Here in Chandler, Arizona the weather was quite warm for a June birthday party- I think it was nearly in the 100s.  No problem since we also have well manicured lawns and plenty of grass to play water games on.  There were bubbles to blow.







Even the gigantic hula hoop sized kinds of bubbles.  What was really entertaining was to watch the kids play in the pool filled with bubble water instead of trying to make hula hoop sized bubbles.    Several other play areas were set up with more kiddy pools filled with just water (ostensibly to wash off with?).






I, unfortunately, didn't snap a picture of the lovely party favors for the kids.  Smaller sized plastic buckets were overflowing with candy, small Bubble Guppies plastic toys and other assorted great gifts.  A McCleary party is not complete without the extra special parting gifts!  Even us adults got to take home some of the party favors.  There is  a chocolate bar wrapped with my three favorite guppies, a piece of the yummy pink lemonade cake (husband Dan thoroughly enjoyed eating the parts I left behind), and two cake pops.



My 13-year-old Katie "called" the guppy headed one, does that surprise you?  All in all, this was one happy birthday party.  Axl is a charmer, so you have to know that I think he deserved every bit of his special day, and more.

Happy Birthday Axl!


Andie

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous - what a fantastic idea. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keri always has fantastic ideas. I love that they are usually simply fantastic. As always, thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this post is 2 years old, but I came across it while looking for something for my friend's son's first birthday party -- with the Bubble Guppies theme! I read that you said the cricut could cut out the letters instead of printing them from nick jr's website. Can I ask what cartridge you would use? I'm trying to find one that has bubble letters and I'm failing. :( Any help would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon- Don't apologize for how old this post is. My little 'ole blog still gets the most hits each week from this post. Keri did a fabulous job!

      I didn't have a specific font in mind, but was instead thinking of how many shadow cuts have the bubble look. You might consider something like Feeling Groovy or Jasmine (shadow blackout?). I always try to make what I have work rather than buy something new. I hope this helps.

      Andie

      Delete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?