Background

Friday, August 19, 2011

Combining Uses- Making that card a couple different ways

I've mentioned several times that I try to be frugal in my card making and that I try to re-use ideas and supplies.  Here's a couple of ideas to utilize a great card layout in a couple of different ways.  This first card is a graduation card for my nephew, Patrick.  Patrick graduated from ASU with degree in Agri-business this May.  I needed a card fit for a male, not fancy and quick- work has been crazy and I didn't have but a few hours.  Out I pulled my Wild Card Cricut Cart and cut the the For the Graduate phrase out of brown cardstock.     
 The card design was very simple, matting with a bright blue/green cardstock on a brown cardstock card.  A one inch wide brown satin ribbon (off of a package I recently received) with a felt chevron fiber over the top finishes this simple look.  As I was thinking about the design of this card it strikes me that my neice, Kelly, was also graduating from Thunderbird High School within days of Patrick.  The challenge is to turn this simple, effective design into a more sophisticated, soft and girly look.  For the girly card, I decided to move more toward a black and white look. 
The challenge here is to off set the sentiment in a way that makes it visible on the patterned paper.  The Wild Card cart does not provide shadow or blackout for the phrase.  After cutting the sentiment out of black
cardstock, I glued it to a white cardstock making sure to choose a cardstock without texture.  Then I fussy cut the sentiment out.  My pictures don't exactly do the card justice, but I think matting the patterned cardstock on the pop of green metallic cardstock made for an elegant, yet not stuffy card.  The single piece of organza ribbon provides an shiny accent to draw the eye in.  Between both cards, I probably spent 1 1/2 to 2 hours sifting through my supplies, deciding on the design, and creating the two cards.  For me, that is a quick turn around and I can say I was pleased with the results.  I've got one additional example of this type of piggy backing on a design that I will share in the next couple of days.

Andie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?