Background

Sunday, October 14, 2018

A Quilting Disaster Averted - A More-Than-Decade Long Project



I decided to share this finished project with you because I had previously shared progress.  Way back on August 2, 2015 in this post I shared my progress (for that year at least) in a post linking to a Our Beautiful World photo challenge blog.  I have worked on this hand quilted wall hanging for over a decade.  My fingers would get tender if I quilted for any prolonged period of time, so I would pull out the project and work on it for a few weeks and then it would go away for a while until I pulled it out again and worked some more.  I am certain I have way over 1000 hours of hand quilting on the project.  I finished this up last year (!!!!), but still needed to bind the edge.  I decided to wrap the background linen around to the front of the quilt and hand sew the binding together.  Rather than follow the steps by the YouTube video I watched, I decided to use my rotary cutter to cut the top piece "straight".  I put that into quotes because the quilting is slightly off (not much), but for all intents and purposes should have been my guide to trim the
quilt along the quilted edge.  My error occurred when I was about 75% done - I accidentally cut the back piece (meant to stay intact and wrap around the front).  In the end I had to repair about 18 inches along one edge.  The picture to the left shows the final repair after some cobbled together (high anxiety) actions involving lots of pins (see picture above), some Fuse fabric adhesive and a spare piece of the linen that was cut off.  It isn't pretty (actually looks like a cat took to the edge and I repaired that nasty feline's horrendously selfish act) up close, but it is passable at a distance.  Since the project is symetrical and does not orient to top or bottom, I'm thinking we can hide the repair under the hanger on the wall.

This project was "sponsored" by my twin sister who bought the preprinted kit and asked for my help.  I intend to give it to her on her birthday this year.  Shhhhh!

I'm linking this up with Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday Challenge Anything But a Card since it is truly anything but a card...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?