Background

Monday, August 22, 2016

Entering the Political Fray - An Elementary Crafty Project


Did I get you right there?  The truth is that my nephew is running for Student Body Treasurer of his elementary school.  So I get a phone call, "Auntie, I'm running for treasurer and... and... and... I'm wondering if you could help me with my poster?"  How does one say no?!  So my respose was an enthusiastic "Of course!"

We decided to keep the poster simple - using the Cricut to die cut his poster tagline and leave room for a handwritten scattering of reasons to vote Jacob:


  1. He's for a sun shade at the pick-up line out in front of the school.
  2. He likes math!
  3. He knows his multiplication tables!
All very good reasons that he will put on later.  Candidates also get to make buttons or necklaces to hand out.  We decided to create these "buttons" which are simply white cardstock printed images.  I used his poster picturer to superimpose onto a fake "penny", altering the date to this year (election year!) and adding a tagline below the picture.



The 3 x 3 in. circle was cut on the Cricut using the centerpoint feature - an imperfect cut, but the 5th grader liked it since it meant that he didn't have to cut them out.  We sponged some copper Viva Decor Stamp Paint over the white cardstock to give a copper burnish to the buttons and voila!

What say you?  Will you join the chorus and cheer my happy little 5th grade nephew!  I had a super fun time with him thinking all this up and executing - which mostly involves keeping him focused, ha ha.  I'll hope the rest of the election season is as much fun!  Thanks for indulging my happy craft day.  We'll be back to regular programing later this week with a fun card set I'm wrapping up later today.


2 comments:

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?