Background

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Patterned Paper Class- Day 3


So, I've been remiss in making blog posts for the Patterned Paper Card Class I've been taking this week.  Working and crafting are a competing activity.  Blogging just gets squeezed in there where it fits.  Yesterday's class was focused on using hard to use patterns- like particularly bold patterns that seem too large for a card.  The tip of the day that really stood out to me what to split up that pattern by cutting it apart. 

Also, the concept of "placing" the image on the card.  This patterned paper comes from a 12 x 12 piece so old in the stack that no manufacturer identification is on the paper.  The paper has an embossed image that has a sheen over the top.  The picture hardly captures what I mean, but I would never have chosen this particular paper for a card.  Too much!  However, using the two tips of the day, I have to say I really like the result. 

I carefully chose the large pink flower from the 12 x 12 paper to place it strategically in the visual sweet spot (rule of thirds I learned from my reading on taking better pictures with my camera!).  Quite frankly, I should have shifted the large pink flower a little more to the right, but I would have lost the pretty blue flowers in the right bottom corner, so I fudged. 

I normally wouldn't have cut in the middle of a patterned paper either- why waste a perfectly good piece of 12 x 12 paper to "select" as spot when the paper won't work anyway (this is my monkey mind talking).  However, I have three sheets of this patterned paper in the stash that I haven't used for so long I've forgotten when and where I purchased it.  Quite frankly my ole monkey mind, it is time to put that paper to good use.  This is one of the reasons I took the class.  I need to see what I have as a resource for creating what I want rather than always looking to go shopping for more.  I don't need more, I've got a whole store in my front room. 

Nevertheless, I am quite pleased.  The sentiment comes from the Hero Arts Luscious Frames stamp set (been using that quite a lot).  I stamped with my Fired Brick Distress Ink onto a strategic scrap of the larger patterned paper and edged the piece with the same ink. 

Give those bold patterns a try- if me and my old monkey mind can do it, so can you!

Andie



4 comments:

  1. I love how you placed the flower just right and what a great bold pattern for this kind of card! Gorgeous card!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and the sweet comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! I think it's hilarious that you own three of that paper. And strategic cutting is gonna be hard for me. At least we can save the scraps for something else, like stamping sentiments...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shopping your own stash paid off in this beautiful card. Great choice for the day's lesson. And, thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Andie - thanks so much for sharing this technique. It truly is so effective and so wonderful. Love it. And thanks for putting my button up:-)) Hugs, Karon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?