Background

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Special Etched Wedding Gift

Here's me posting for Brandy again.  She's been so consumed by work and setting up her craft room after receiving a new cabinet that I thought these pictures/instructions would never make their way onto the blog.  Brandy had a co-worker who was married earlier this year.  Since I've etched a few things, Brandy thought that etched Champagne glasses might just be the perfect gift.  Here's a sampling of the pictures taken:

Step 1- Cut the image out of vinyl. In this case, Brandy used her Gypsy to create the image by combining the PenWork image (the swirl) from the French Manor cart and the initials of the wedding party using the Calligraphy Collection Matrimony font.  The upper case letter was used for all initials.









Step 2- Apply the etching solution.  I have always used Armour Etch which is commercially available at most retail craft stores.  The product is easy to use, though it does give off a strong odor.  Liberally apply the solution with a brush over the image you would like to have etched into the glass.






Step 3- Wait the appropriate length of time (read the manufacturer's instructions) and rinse the solution off the glass with warm water.  I typically rinse away from the glass to prevent any unexpected etching.  Occassionally, if the etching is in the center of a large portion of glass I will remove the solution with my fingers to prevent the solution from sliding across the unetched glass. 






Step 4- Inspect the etching.  If small portions of the image are not fully etched and my vinyl is still well adhered to the glass, I will occassionally add another application of the etching solution to finish the entire image.  Once I am confinced the image is finished like I like, I also wash the glass with a little soapy water to ensure the entire solution has been removed. 





These Bride and Groom glasses were so fancy, I wanted to make a pair for myself.  I heard that Brandy's co-worker was duly impressed and loved their homemade bridal gift.  Each member of the bridal party (something close to 20 plus people) walked away with one of these fine creations. 

Way to go, Brandy!







Brandy (by Andie)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?