Background

Saturday, February 2, 2013

A Little "Throw Down" Set of Cards

I recently posted some Tattered Blossom Heaven created by Brandy.  Brandy had scraplifted the card idea from Heartfelt Creations website and I commented on what I loved most about Brandy's interpretation.  One of the lovely ladies whose blog I follow "threw down" on my comments.  Jessica of Errant Scraps (go check her out, she's a prolific scrapbooker that constantly inspires me) wrote the following:


Beautiful cards! Andie, your last paragraph cracked me up. When are you going to post your interpretation of the card? huh? huh?


I've recently returned to work, so my personal productivity has taken a huge hit in the creative keister.  So my initial reaction was to start mealy mouthing about how well Brandy did, how I couldn't possibly live up to her fine example.  Then I considered Jessica's dedication to her craft.  She has two young boys and still finds time to regularly create and post about her scrapbook pages.  This is one of the things I love about following her blog.  She also regularly uses sketches and competes in online challenges.  I've not attained such status yet posting rarely in challenges, but I long to join her.  So, I took the challenge in all it's well meant cheekiness and tried to give it a go.  Here's my results:



I don't have a Grand Calibur.  This limits my ability to die cut Spellbinders dies and limits my embossing abilities.  As you can see, my version does not have the embossed background.









Additionally, my stash of Heartfelt Creations stamps in much smaller (a situation I plan to correct at the scrapbook convention in April).  As such, none of the stamps are from Heartfelt Creations.  When I went looking for what I was going to use, my first reaction was to head off to Michaels or Joanns for supplies (that "just right" color of pink or yellow, a perfect stamp set, etc.).  However, Jessica will also frequently comment on her use of the stash to meet challenges. 




I knuckled my inner shopping diva under with a strong right hook and stayed home,  Instead I went "shopping" in my Scrapbox.  Let's be honest, its like my own little LSS that doesn't charge for supplies.  O more accurately, charged for the supplies a while ago.


I found a EK Success stamp set with the large swirl which has solid tulip like flowers I've hidden beneath the flowers cut with Heartfelt Creations' Posy dies.  I am able to cut all by the two largest of these dies on my Sizzix Tag-a-long (very old tool indeed!).


I used some Good Earth Elements to create the center for each of the flowers.  The sentiments both come from a small stamp set for the month of May.  The little swirl comes from a Recollections stamp set that also has a solid flower I've hidden. 










All stamps were made using my Vintage Photo Distress Ink.  This created a slightly shabby look to some of the stamping, a contrast to the stunning crisp look on Brandy's cards.

All in all, I like my final creations.  I still think Brandy's result is more stunning, but that is the great thing about creating for yourself...  The people I give these cards away to may never have actually seen Brandy's creations so they can't compare.  Also, the fun is in the creating and I can say that I was challenged in more than one way by doing this project.  Thank you Jessica.  Keep on keeping me honest and out of my comfort zone.  I need the help!

Andie

3 comments:

  1. My inner cheeky diva rejoices! As for the supposed "cheekiness," I'm glad you took it well, since I meant it well. Actually, I didn't intend cheekiness at all, but as it is a common complaint against me it is something I'm aware happens sometimes. ;)
    Don't you just love shopping from your stash? It's awesome! And gurrrrrl, your card is precious. Though you do know how I love me some vintage-goodness so maybe that's why I like it. I love seeing how an individual's personality (stash, tools, techniques) show through their creations and make even similar sketches unique. Way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't language a funny thing? I meant cheekiness as in 'tongue in cheek' with a dash of encouragement. We all need that push to go one more step further and that's exactly what you provided. I appreciate your support, friend! Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful Andie - love them both. I would call them very elegant CAS cards, because of the white space - no need for embossing. Thanks for sharing these, they are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?