Background

Saturday, May 5, 2012

My haul from the CK convention

As mentioned in my previous post, Brandy and I attended the CK Scrapbook Convention a couple of weeks ago.  I thought I would share a few pictures of the stash from our weekend of fun.



This first picture shows some of the supplies that were purchased as well as some of the class kits for the sessions we enjoyed.  The green (!) stylus in the black case are from Heartfelt Creations.  To the right of the stylus holder is a black foam mat.  These two tools will help with shaping of die cut flowers. 





Our first class of the day was a 3D Card Class from Heartfelt Creations.  While we didn't find the instructor to be particularly helpful, the cards were beautiful and went together quite quickly.  Considering the 60 minutes of fun, the tips and tricks on flower shaping and the fact that I now have three Mother's Day cards, I think the class was worth every penny.  I have already used the tools I purchased at their booth (you receive a free stamp set worth $15.99 from their booth).


 
Here's one design I scraplifted off the Heartfelt Creations site.  My free stamp set is the one featured on the front of this card.  Quite lovely and relatively simply created.  I stamped with a Brilliance silver ink on a die cut frame cut by the Cricut.  The layers of white paper are placed with foam tape for dimensional layering and the bow adhered with a glue dot.  Simple, yet elegant.





The cool closures class was also a bit of a disappointment.  The mini-album that you receive as a part of the class was cool and I expect to be able to do something with it.  However the techniques taught in the class were not "cool" and the instructor was ill (not her fault per se, but her cough made it difficult to understand her at times) so the instructions were not always clear.
The "hanger" is intended to hide journaling under that top.  The mechanics don't work smoothly and the instruction was confusing. 
The button tie closure is rudimentary- basically two buttons mounted with foam tap and a piece of twine to hold the "doors" closed.

Finally, the last technique involved gluing a small magnet on the backside of a tab on one door and on a flower embellishment (shown).  The idea is that the flower holds the tab together and the door closed.  Again, not sure if this qualifies as a cool closure.  All in all, not a particularly satisfying class.  Brandy and I decided to look on the bright side and imagine the ways we can alter the album which in the end is kinda cool containing acetate pages and some great patterns.  When I finish the book I'll definitely post about how it went.  

The next class, digital photography, did not have any projects completed during class.  Honestly, this class was the biggest disappointment of the day.  The instructor was the same as the cool closures class.  However, the instruction was kinda hit or miss.  Although there were good tips, none of the tips were things you couldn't or haven't heard from blog posts or other internet site advice.  The good part to this class is that we received free product at dollarscrapbooking.net (not my kind of product, but free stuff nonetheless) and a free hard bound 5 x 7 photo book through Cheez.com.  I still have to put together my album online, so no endorsement yet, but these giveaways saved the class entirely.  
 
The Melissa Frances card class was so fun, I intend to make a separate post about it entirely.  One last tease, I stopped by The Original Scrapbox booth to gush about my scrapbox and to encourage him because few were stopping at his booth and he looked lonely.  He was so appreciative that he gave me a free gift... this Ribbon box which fits perfectly in my Scrapbox.  This generosity made me so grateful that I intend a ringing endorsement post in the near future.
 Paper crafting with your bestie... fun no matter which way you look at it.  Love, love, loved it all.

Andie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?