Background

Monday, November 4, 2013

Thinking of You Card


I had a strong desire to play around with the masking techniques from my recent Creative Chemistry 102 class.  I also desired to play around with the sticky embossing powder techniques.  This card was born of that playing around.

I first created the background paper using an Ink Blending Tool and several colors of Distress Ink (Scattered Straw, Peeled Paint, Seedless Preserves, and Vintage Photo)  I tried to keep the colors bright and light.  I laid the honecomb stencil over the top corner and applied some Vintage Photo with the blending tool.  This created the lighter "masked" portion of the background paper.  The edged were distress with my distressing tool and then inked with Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress Ink.  I stamped the background image using my Delicate Twining stamp.  I used a water brush and Shaded Lilac Distress Ink to color the flowers and Peeled Paint Distress Ink to color the leaves.

Each of the layers of asters were stamped using my Heartfelt Creations Delicate Asters stamps and embossed with the sticky embossing powder.  I used Ranger's Rock Candy glitter directly after heating up the powder.  The glitter sticks to the embossing powder and then I cut each flower out with my dies.  The center of each flower is a little Shabby Shutters Distress Glitter applied with a dot of Crystal Accents.  The ODBD Fancy Foliage green cardstock swirls and the Heartfelt Creations Ornamental Add On brown cardstock florish were added for interest.

The sentiment frame was cut out of kraft paper (like the card base).  Before removing the cut, I applied Vintage Photo Distress Ink with the blending tool leaving the beautiful outline on the frame.  The sentiment was stamped using brown Archival Ink and then the frame was attached using foam squares.  A few pearl accents and I thought the card was done.

This card was satisfying- beautiful result, fun elements to put together and some playing around without exactly knowing it would all work out.  I can see a fair bit of stress relief poured into this little card.

I'm linking this up over at the Moxie Fab World in their Cards for Cath.  I've mentioned my enjoyment of Cath and her lovely posts over at the Moxie Fab World on more than one occasion.  This is because she has been such an inspiration to me.  Sadly, she's decided to move on to greener pastures and do other things.  This announcement came as such a shock to me- she's been a mainstay for my online blog reading for years!  I'm hoping my sadness at her leaving is a small measure of the great and wonderful things ahead for her.  She really is Moxie Fab!  So long, Cath!  I'll hope to see you in your next endeavors.

I'm also linking this up with the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog: Anything Goes Challenge, The Paper Girls Challenge #43: Cut It Out and Word Art Wednesday's Challenge #104: Anything Goes. Come join the fun!



9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Andie! This card is absolutely stunning! Your flowers are gorgeous and that background is amazing!! Beautiful creation! TFS and have a fabulous week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous inking and gorgeous flowers. Thanks for playing along with the Anything Goes challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I love the rustic feel and yet such elegant touches. Just lovely, and I thank you so much for sharing your art with us in our challenge this week. Thanks for stopping by and God bless your week.
    Karen
    Word Art Wednesday

    P.S. I have BLOG CANDY!
    www.karen-mycupunnethover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything screams details galore. I am still working through Chem 101. This project is just so adorable and I really like the colors you have used. We all appreciate you posting this beautiful art with us. PLEASE come back.
    Abundant Blessings,
    Carole Robb Bisson
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this! Such a beautiful design and sweet bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card & beautiful words. It's lovely to read how Cath inspired so many people in the crafting community, I'm sure Cath will love it. Hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Andie! This card is so gorgeous! Thank you so much for creating it with little ol' me in mind. :)

    I'm so glad to know that the Moxie Fab World has been such a source of inspiration to you, my friend. I can't believe that something I created has come to mean so much to so many. Thank you so much for your support and friendship over the years, it means the world to me!

    All my love,
    Cath

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! I really really need to take the other class so I can take this one. This card is just plain stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW - Great card - Thanks for joining us at PGCB.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?