Background

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Glittery Butterflies



These butterflies are a direct result of our recent trip to the stamp convention.  Both Brandy and I have known that you can stamp on acetate using a Stazon-type ink and then glitter from behind.  However, we don't always get around to doing so.  When we saw these pre-printed lovelies, scoop them up we did.  I came home and this is the result of my experiments.



The technique requires the use of an double-sided adhesive sheet.  You apply the adhesive to the back (dull) side of the butterfly.  Then, fussy cut the image while the backing paper is still in place.  Finally, remove the backing paper and sprinkle glitter of various shades to the image.  The sprinkling takes a little finesse.   In this pink lovely you can see how the gold blends more to the light pink to the dark pink.  Better than than the red butterfly above. 


That look is achieved by taping a spoonful of glitter causing it to literally sprinkle down.  After glittering, I burnished the glitter by rubbing my finger lightly over the back.  It settles the glitter in place and seemed to add a bit of shine to the finished product.  What you are looking at is the smooth side of the acetate and the glitter shines through. 





This blue one is another good example where you can see the mixing of the gold and the light blue glitter.


Here's the back of the blue butterfly.  You can see the image through the glitter- this is a light dusting, but the effect is simply marvelous. 

I've left the antennae in place until I use them- I'll fussy cut that last piece out right before using.  You'll also notice that I didn't apply the double-sided adhesive to the body- electing to cut on a curve and apply only to the wings.  This seems to be unnecessary, but my neurotic, picky brain got the best of me.

I've plans to use this on a birthday card very soon.  I'll try to get that done and posted.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty!!! looks like a fun technique too, maybe someday you can show us a tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These butterflies are stunning! Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?