Background

Friday, November 1, 2013

Play All Day- Layout #1


Sorting through and getting posts up has been quiet the challenge.  Work is becoming a nuisance to my crafting schedule!  I am finally sharing the layouts we made at our Play All Day a few weeks ago.  Truthfully, when the kit was passed out and I saw the photo of this first layout (the bottom one in the picture), I was less then enthusiastic.  I'm fundamentally not attracted to the color orange.  Don't know why, just a quirk of mine.  Couple that with the way-to-big-for-me Fall sentiment and I was at once repelled.  This is a lesson for you because once I altered the layout a bit, I loved it.



My first change was to not use the Fall sentiment.  Didn't like it a bit.  The kit came with a very generous paper and acetate embellishment package.  I sorted through and found this flower cardboard element and instantly knew it worked better for me.  Next, I flipped over the awful (to me) orange polka dots.  Trendy grey monochromatic arrows-  Yes!  Because I liked the arrows so much, I searched through the paper embellies and found the yellow arrow cardboard element.  That fit.






The kit came with a generous length of orange fiberous twine.  I glued a little bow to the flowers.  My corner rounder made a nice soft edge to the patterned paper background.


I actually enjoyed the acetate So Very Thankful and only glued down the top so that I can slide the corner of a picture under there if I like.

Then it was off to get rid of the awful, cartoony (again, to me) pumpkins in the oval journal card.  I didn't want to be tied to a Thanksgiving layout.  This pretty little flower was my solution- adhered with a foam square or two to give some depth.  Another little red twine bow looks so very inviting.

I changed the feathery looking leaves out for the cluster of flowers and really like the final result.











You can see from the leftovers picture that Shelby's kits are generous.  I could use those elements for cards or other layouts. You can also see that her kits are versatile.  I was able to take a kit I didn't particularly like on first glance and make it my own.  Now that's a kit worth receiving.

If you haven't participated in one of Embellish It's Play All Day events, both Brandy and I would highly recommend it.  The event is a full day of fun and the kits are great take home value.  Check them out!
   

4 comments:

  1. That looks like a fun kit and you did a great job with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer your take on it! Love the backing paper, very effective and certainly better than all those dots! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to make that kit work for you, it turned out beautifully. And I'm with Karen, the arrows are way better than the dots.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?