Background

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Harley Davidson Mini Album

Born to Ride

I will apologize up front for the number of pictures and how long this post is going to be, but this Harley Davidson paperbag mini album has been quite the project and I have quite a few people to thank for the inspiration: 1.  Laura Denison (Following the Paper Trail), if you don't know about Laura, all I can say is, pure genious, between her and Tim Holtz I can't quit thinking of new projects! I just wish I had time to create them all.  Laura (like I know her personally), inspired this by using paperbags to create the pages in this album and the fantastic use of canvas for the cover as well. 2. My friend Cecilia and the Arizona Bike Week.  Other than Cecilia, I have no one my immediate social or family circle that ride motorcycles so without her this would have just been a random project.  Cecilia and her husband were going to bike week and for some reason I got this type of book in my mind as perfect for a Harley Davidson album; of which I gave her as a gift and I hope she enjoys it. 3. "My cousin Shannon, Shannon, you know the rest.... (inside joke, not a mistake)". When I  started this project I thought I would have no problem finding Harley Davidson items and not have to spend a lot of money, WRONG!, that is a very expensive brand!  So, when I couldn't find Harley Davidson scrapbook items, and Harley store prices were not in the budget, Shannon suggested we hit the thrift stores, and that resulted in quite a few items, most significant, is the outside cover; which is cut out from a Harley Davidson t-shirt. 4. The wonderful lady at Mystic Paper in Mesa.  When I was at my end on trying to find items to include in the book, she offered me what she had from a Harley Davidson themed book she started a while ago and didn't finish, at no cost, not to mention she went and looked for it from her storage for me, that is customer service. 5. The nice girl at the Chandler Harley Davidson store.  I bought a few items there and when I explained what I was doing she gave me their gift box, which resulted in the inside covers! 6. Last, but no least Andie, who encouraged me to finish this project each time I thought I would give up because I was busy or frustrated,that is a good friend. I guess you could say it took a village to make this book.

The eight (8) pockets are made from an organge lunch bags (Michael's Crafts) being glued together. Each  has a large tag that can be used as a photo mat or for journaling.  No two are the same and some are stamped with black or silver ink flourish desings.
Some of the tags in the pages.
That pocket for the tag is a Harley Davidson post card ($3.99).  The concept of sliding tags behind pockets, etc. is done throughout this book and is a great idea for extra space in mini albums.
My favorite tag is the three stars with the orange motorcycle.  When Shannon and I went to the thrift store we stopped to get a scoop of Thrifty ice cream, and they had that keychain for sale ($1.99), FANTASTIC, it was perfect and much less expensive than the ones at the HD store.
The book closure was the biggest challenge because I had a completely different idea, that just simply didn't work.  So, I got a black ring and just ran it through the stitched twine from the back cover to the stitching on the front cover and close. 
I think this is my favorite page!  Behind the photomat you can slide in a tag, and the flowers are cut from vellume with gray accent.
The picture frame is open at the top so a photo can be slid in.  The pocket on this was made from a scrap of leather, stamped with white Staz On and the Harley Davidson embellishment is a hatpin ($9.99) and no, I didn't realize I was paying $10.00 for one pin that broke when I put it in the canvas and had to be moved to the pocket.
 This is the front inside cover with the giftbox mentioned above.  I really like that it worked out, it is a quality giftbox and cost $0.00.  The front page is cut from Cricut's Blackletter cart.  I had to recut the "r", it was fixed before I gave it to Cecilia.  I absolutely loved making this album! The one thing to make sure of is to make sure the canvas fits the final project, I had to measure mine several times and even with allowing for shrinkage when the paint dried, it barely covered the flaps.  Check out Laura's paperbag mini album tutorial on Youtube, she makes this all easy!  This book can be used for so many different themes, enjoy.  Brandy

2 comments:

  1. I love this project and all of the time and details you put into it! My family goes to Sturgis every year and we go thru the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Devil's Tower....etc I have been looking all over for something motorcycle related to start a yearly journal of our memories made in South Dakota. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?