Background

Friday, January 4, 2013

12 Days of Christmas- Kids Style

I have created the 12 Days of Christmas as a gift for the past several years.  The idea was initiated (like all my ideas) by some wonderful friends (the Jackmans) who mysteriously left gifts on our doorstep for the 12 days preceding Christmas.   We had never experienced this before and it was so wonderful we couldn't control ourselves.  I know a few crafty folks (Brandy anyone?  Keri?  !!!!) so there was much speculation as to the gift givers.  When my neice and nephews became old enough to enjoy- and maybe even a bit sooner than that :)- I decided that this would make the best gift.  These kids have everything they could want, so one more Christmas gift just gets lost in the shuffle of present opening on Christmas day.  However, 12 gifts to be opened over the coming 12 days most of which are consumable... that appeals.  


I repeated the same error that I have over the last couple of Christmas'.  No pictures of the finished product.  Actually, not exactly zero pictures.  I did find this one picture that is really only half a picture.  This is usually the result of having just finished packaging all gifts by Christmas Eve and in the rush and excitement of all the other activities- no pictures.  I *smartly* grabbed only a few pictures of one of the gifts this year.  Truly, this was intended to be a well documented year.  But, alas, it got away from me again.  Pardon the wordy post, but this will act as record keeping for me as much as inspiration for you so I'm trying to really get it down.

I usually start with an internet search to see if any new ideas for the 12 Days has been blogged/chatted or otherwise documented out in the world.  I use keywords like 12 Days of Christmas gift ideas, etc. This begins a list of the gifts I plan to purchase or give.  I've created the lists below that identifies some of the ideas I've used or heard of.  The key that I try to narrow my ideas to- keep it simple, consumable (if possible), entertaining (sometimes, but usually only for the young or slow witted amongst us), and inexpensive (if you are doing this for multiple families like I do, costs can rise quickly).  I try to keep in mind that these aren't the kinds of gifts kids long for all year, just something to look forward to and anticipate for 12 days.  

On the first day of Christmas my true love (or true friends) gave to me....

If you are rich, this is where you're buying a pear tree and a partridge.  I wouldn't like either so we've given canned pears, bird ornaments, real pears, pear jelly (This can be hard to find.  I found mine at Whole Foods) etc.

On the second day of Christmas my true love (or true friends) gave to me....

Normally two turtle doves.  I've given a box of turtle candies, Dove soap bar, Dove chocolate candies, etc.

On the third day of Christmas my true love (or true friends) gave to me....

Normally three French Hens.  I've given a can of chicken noodle soup (the family size so everyone can enjoy).  This year I purchased a copy of Anne Hathaway''s I Dreamed a Dream from Les Miserables and made a cd.

On the fourth day of Christmas my true love (or true friends) gave to me....

Normally, four calling birds.   My favorite gift for this day was for dear friends where each of our family members wrote out notes as to why the friends were so precious to each of us.  Kay has since gone to be with her Savior.  My sentiments written are still very true, she and her husband Chris are truly precious to me.  I've also created (I am a paper crafter at heart) notecards as the gift.  Thus the lone picture from this year. The card base (cream cardstock) was distressed using Scattered Straw, Peeled Paint and Faded Jeans Distress Ink and an Ink Blending Tool.  The frame and bird were cut from Cricut's Straight From the Nest, image Brdcge2 using the same cream cardstock. 





I think these were cut at 3 3/4 in. to fit the card perfectly.  
I used Tim Holtz' Rusted Enamel technique to give the frame and bird some texture and to make the color rich.  The ink used in this technique was Vintage Photo.  Inside I stamped the sentiment (meaning "It's Very Nice" I think?) and the bird using my Glitz stamp set.  I've made other renditions and included them in years past always trying to keep the sentiment very notecardish so they could be used as a variety of purposes.







On the fifth day of Christmas my true love (or true friends) gave to me....

Usually five golden rings.  I've given a can on pineapple rings, candy rings (I like the sweetart kind like these),  and this year a knitted mitten ornament kinda like this (purchased, not made, but could easily be handmade). 

On the sixth day of Christmas my true love (or true friends) gave to me....

Usually six geese a laying.  Yuck!  Definitely have to change this one.  I pretend that eggs only come from a plastic carton at Sams Club and have nothing to do with stinky, smelly birds.  I have given chocolate egg candies, Cadbury egg candies, and this year was Silly Putty eggs.

On the seventh day of Christmas my true love (or true friends) gave to me....

Usually, seven swans a swimming.  I have given bubble bath, inexpensive bowl (make your own small pond), beach ball (the swans left behind in the pond), and this year some Goldfish crackers (also left behind in the pond).

On the eighth day of Christmas my true love (or true friends) gave to me....

Usually eight maids a milking.  I have given a small container of Quik chocolate milk mix, drinking straws (for the milk), and this year some milk caramels.

On the ninth day of Christmas my true love (or true friends) gave to me....

Usually nine ladies dancing.  This is where Cricut and I have a problem.  The cart Joys of the Season has nine drummers drumming.  This almost always trips me up since conventionally the song has nine ladies dancing.  I'll speak in a minute about the cuts I've used from the cart, but this is fair warning in your planning if you choose to use the cart and follow my suggestions (you'll have to switch it up with the 12 drummers drumming below).  I have given candy canes (those tired ladies need it to get home) and this year, blown glass ballet slipper Christmas tree ornament.

On the tenth day of Christmas my true love (or true friends) gave to me....

Usually ten lords a leaping.  Again, I believe Cricut got it wrong with ten pipers piping (on the Joys of the Season cart).  Switch it out, but adjust your planning.  I have given Ben Gay cream (they have tired muscles) and this year, a frog puzzle (tired Lords wanted you to follow someone else for a while).

On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love (or true friends) gave to me....

Usually eleven pipers piping.  I have given bubble pipe, hot (piping hot!) chocolate mix, and this year I purchased a bagpipe song and cut cds for the kids to listen to.  More than eleven pipers piping!

On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love (or true friends) gave to me....

Usually twelve drummers drumming.  I have given Christmas cookies, purchased Relient K's 12 Days of Christmas and made cds, and this year gave a bottle of sparkling cider to celebrate with.

I've made tags with the statements for each day and fussy cut them out.  You can get the templates here.  This is an example of one year's version.  When I've used these tags, I put the tag with the info inside a lunch bag with the gift and staple the bag closed.  In these cases, I have cut the Ornament feature for each day using Cricut's Joys of the Season cart layering a solid cardstock between the two ornament cuts (one with the image and one with the number representing the day).  This was a fair bit of gluing work, but looked great using a cardstock pack of four Christmasy colors (forest green, rusty red, cream, mustardy yellow).  I have also cut the image for each day using both layers (i.e., Partridge sitting on pear branch, turtle doves in their cage, etc.).  Again, I used a Christmasy cardstock paper pack and simply cut each image out of an appropriate color using color to add to the dimension for each layer.

This year, I used my Word trick to print into a template and then cut using the Cricut- like I've mentioned here before.  I used on the 12 Days of Christmas cards.  This is what that printout looked like:


The frame  was cut at 3 in. using the AutoFill and SetPaperSize features so that the cuts would be in approximately the same location every time.  The Word template is purposely left with room on the edges for error (no tight fits here!).  The image used is from Cricut's Sophisticated cart using Creative Feature Font1 image Frame3.  I cut additional layers 1/4 in. bigger of patterned paper and solid cardstock to make the tags.


In either case, I adhered a tag to the outside of the bag and indicated which day so that the recipient could open them in order.  I almost always included an opening tag to explain the gift and give minor instructions along with a Christmas sentiment.  We've given the whole set all at once both 12 days before Christmas and on Christmas Day to be opened each of the following 12 days.  We've given this gift to nieces and nephews, family friends with children and family friends whose children are grown up and on their own.  It is a very special gift and always brings delight to us as the giver of the gift.

Whichever way you intend to do this- even if it is a gift to your own children, I am sure that it will bring Christmas joy.  After all, isn't that one of the best parts of Christmas?

Andie

2 comments:

  1. Firstly - I love the calling bird card - its fabulous. And what a wondrous gift giving idea!!! This is amazing and I love all the ways you used the song. TFS, my friend. Have a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea! I love that you are now paying it forward to your niece and nephew. Your card is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?